Hybrid dentures offer the strength and stability of a fixed denture restoration, as well as the advantages of a removable denture. The denture is fixed in place using dental implants, but can be removed by the dentist or hygienist for professional cleanings. Hybrid dentures are a great solution when there is significant bone loss in the jaw, but patients want the convenience of having a “fixed” denture.
Advantages of Hybrid Dentures
- Comfort: Hybrid dentures are customized to fit the natural face shape and jaw line. Because they replace the natural teeth without covering the palate, dentures don’t cause the mouth shape to alter and don’t feel bulky or too big.
- Stability: Hybrid dentures are fixed in place using biocompatible and durable titanium or zirconium implants that fuse to existing jaw bone. Once the implants have been surgically placed and given time to heal, the implants are fitted with an abutment upon which the dentures are securely fitted.
- Minimally-Invasive: Although implants are surgically placed below the gum line, they take the place of the natural root and the procedure usually requires minor sedation and pain relief. The process itself can take as little as a couple of hours from start to finish, and recovery from the procedure is rapid.
- Health: Hybrid dentures replaces gum tissue with pink acrylic between the teeth to allow for correct positioning and appearance. This means the dentures are often indistinguishable from natural teeth when it comes to everyday activities, including eating and drinking, speaking and smiling. Hybrid dentures allow patients to bite and chew without restriction, which stimulates the remaining bone and prevents further loss to bone and tissue.
- Aesthetics: Hybrid dentures are created using resilient, durable and natural-looking materials, and are customized to fit the individual. Because they are retained using dental implants that are below the gum line and not visible, the new dentures look natural and fit closely to the gum line.
- Dental Well-being: Hybrid dentures can help patients regain control of their dental health. Hybrid dentures must be kept clean through daily brushing and with the help of regular visits to the dentist for a thorough, professional cleaning.
Hybrid dentures are not for everyone, and a full analysis of the jaw bone, existing mouth structure and dental health will be required before establishing a treatment plan. And though they are durable and resilient, hybrid dentures may need to be repaired after years of wear. However, if you are interested in hybrid dentures as a permanent solution for missing teeth, ask your dentist whether you would be a good candidate for this remarkable and reliable denture option.
Contact Dr. Richard J Stuart to schedule an appointment and find out more about hybrid dentures.